Thursday, January 19, 2017

Fingerboard

My fingerboard (the one with the kit) came pretty close to spec already; the nut came as a blank rectangle of ebony. I basically just followed the instructions for the nut and fingerboard on makingtheviolin.com, but to viola size.

To minimize buzzing possibilities with those big bass strings I hope to fit, I trimmed the end in a curve mirroring the compensated tailpiece I have ordered. The jigsaw actually worked nicely for this, with minimal chipping. There was a little splitting on the exiting edge. In retrospect, it might have helped to clamp some scrap wood flush with the edge for a cleaner result. However, I am, overall, pleased with it. It is rather decorative, at least.




After gluing on the fingerboard and nut, after varnishing the violin, I scraped and sanded the fingerboard and neck perfectly flush and smooth with each other. Since I have small hands I enjoy a very slender neck. I sanded with very fine sandpaper and burnished it all with leather.


If your instrument color is dark, you will probably want to stain the exposed neck with coffee because the naked maple is a little too much raw contrast with a brown stain. But since my instrument is so light, the natural maple seems right.




No comments:

Post a Comment