Friday, October 21, 2016

Oil varnish

The key to oil varnish, I think, is patience and many thin coats. Last time, I ended up with bubbles, embedded dust, runs, and puddles by applying it full, syrupy strength. This time I thinned every coat by at least half with turpentine; and it was much better. I did about 6 very thin coats applied by an index finger. I would have done more, and may yet, but that little bottle (Hildersine) ran out.


I recommend the tutorial by John Osnes if you want to know how to do it actually properly. http://osnesviolins.com/11.Varnish.htm

In an effort to speed up the cure, I let it get some UV out on the lawn but we don't live in the best neighborhood and I was kind of nervous the whole time it was out sunbathing.







In order to varnish belly, back, ribs, and scroll every time, I suspended it to dry on its endpin and neck. The endpin isn't glued in; I slipped it out to varnish easily around it, then popped it in to dry every time.






The texture and depth of the varnish is lovely, even not polished yet.







Although not a roaring blaze, it turns out the back has a stray flame or two.


To distract myself from the waiting to cure, I am working on plans for my next projects, which include another violin restoration project for my husband's Christmas present and, after that, some serious branching out -- from-scratch, viola, and cello projects. Posts on those to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment