Thursday, September 1, 2016

Case renovation - interior upholstery

The inside of the case used to be gross red fur full of dirt and rosin. You know the kind. I have never had a violin case that wasn't gross red fur full of dirt and rosin, so I thought nothing of it until the music store man pointed out (in a disinterested way of course) that it can mess up a soft varnish job. Is this true? I have no idea. But I had cotton velveteen on hand so I reupholstered it using a thin bead of glue along the entire edge.

I love cyanoacrylate glue -- this bottle of Krazy has accomplished a lot. The eye-watering exothermic reaction as it glues your fingers together is how you know it's working!

Displaying WP_20160901_10_23_48_Pro.jpg

Initially I put in contrasting green ribbons but I didn't like the look. Too pretty-pretty; this isn't a bonnet. So I tore them out to put in this matching wide gray.

Displaying WP_20160901_10_25_12_Pro.jpg
Additional updates include a humidifier and a hygrometer, to be detailed in an upcoming post, when the hygrometer comes in the mail. The humidifier is that wooden box with the holes drilled in it.

The outside of the case isn't done yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment